Sunday, March 1, 2015

Quick Bite - Craftsman & Wolves (San Francisco)


So, a little while back, my husband and I went to San Francisco for a weekend getaway.  True to form, I did some research beforehand in regards to places to eat while we were in town.  After reading a ton of restaurant reviews, food blogs, etc., the name of one place in particular kept popping up, Craftsman & Wolves.  According to their website, Craftsman & Wolves is a "contemporary pâtisserie located in San Francisco’s vibrant Mission district" on Valencia St.   It is an industrial looking, but very sophisticated bakery, helmed by a James Beard-nominated pastry chef, William Werner.  We decided to make it a "must try" while we were in San Francisco.

Now, Craftsman & Wolves offers an ever changing menu of breakfast pastries, cakes, confections, desserts, lunch, and other savory items. When you walk in, you are greeted by a huge counter with mountains of beautiful looking muffins, pastries, sandwiches, and other mouth-watering treats.  Everything behind the glass looked utterly delicious.
However, after all of my research, I was there for one thing, and one thing only....the myth, the "foodie" legend, a special muffin called "The Rebel Within."  Now, "The Rebel Within" not only sounds cool, it is an actual food celebrity.  I have seen it featured on a number of shows on the Food Network, and it has had a number of articles written about it in several magazines.  Apparently, it has quite a following. 

Now, "The Rebel Within" is basically a savory muffin, made with asiago cheese, sausage, and green onion.  What makes this muffin so unique is that it has a whole, soft-cooked egg buried in the middle of it!  You order the muffin and it just looks like a normal muffin, but then you cut it in half and you discover the magic buried within...
The muffin itself is dense and chewy, and then you get a perfectly cooked egg inside with the still runny yolk oozing out of the middle.  It was egg, bread, cheese, sausage all rolled into one very complex muffin. 

Along with my very tasty muffin, I had one of Craftsman & Wolves' artful coffee drinks, which was expertly poured by one of their super talented barristas.  The coffee was fantastic, and with my egg-filled muffin, I have to say it was a pretty perfect way to start the day. 
I have chosen now to write about this delicious treat because I recently learned that Craftsman & Wolves in going to be opening a Southern California location in the Culver City area.  The anticipated opening date is Summer 2015.  I believe it will be a huge success in the So Cal area and I highly recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment