Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Quick Bite - Public School 805 (Westlake Village)

I thought I'd go a little more local this time, for those of you who dread driving into the city.  
Public School 805 is a new gastropub which recently opened at the Promenade in Westlake Village, right next to the Grill on the Alley.  The motto of PS805 is, "An Education in the Art of Food and Beer."  The interior goes along with the school theme, with books on shelves, globes, and menus that look like college composition books.  They are open for lunch and dinner, and have just started a summer brunch on the weekends which looks great.  The menu features some first class pub grub, and the bar features over 40 craft beers (26 on tap), a selection of artisanal cocktails, and several different unusual wines by the glass. It has a large bar inside, as well as, a big outdoor patio.  We have been to PS805 twice since it opened, and have sat outside on the lovely patio both times.

The knowledgeable waitress told us that they focus on small craft/artisanal brewers and distillers, and that they have a constant list of rotating microbrews from around the country.  Also, no Grey Goose here.  They also use small batch distillers for their spirits.  Further, they will happily pour you free tasters of their beers to help you choose the right one for you.  I think my husband tried five before he settled on his first pint.  Here's a shot of their large selection of beers on tap.

A view of the interior.



On our most recent visit to PS805, my husband and I split a couple of the appetizers.  The first was the Bacon Cheddar Tots with sriracha ketchup. These tots are crispy, fried, gooey, cheesy, bacony  bites of perfection!  More than the sum of their parts, these things are outrageously good and extremely addictive. Even the ketchup is elevated here with a kick of sriracha. Yum!


The second appetizer we had was the Speck & Eggs, which were deviled eggs topped with crispy speck, which were wonderfully balanced between spicy, salty and creamy.  Small bites are definitely king at PS805. 

For my main course,  I tried the Jidori Brick Chicken & White Bean Ragout, with sauteed kale, slivered garlic, soffrito, and blistered tomatoes.  The chicken was perfectly cooked, with crispy skin on both sides, and paired well with the accompanying ragout.  The chicken could have used a bit more seasoning, but overall, I thought it was a tasty and well constructed dish.


I enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine with my meal, and my husband washed his down with a couple of beers.

We learned that they have "Recess", aka Happy Hour, from 4-7 pm Monday thru Friday.  They have all types of small bites on the Recess menu, and they all cost either $4 -$5-$6 dollars.  They also have a variety of drink specials.

I would definitely recommend Public School 805, especially for Happy Hour, because we really enjoyed our appetizers and drinks.  If you are looking for a fun place to hang out, and have some good food, go check out PS805 in Westlake Village.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen reviews that it was loud inside and that it hard to hear each other. Did you notice any noise issues? And I'll go with you to "Recess" since I work close by to the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only sat on the patio, which is nice, and had no noise issues. I'd love to meet up for happy hour!

    ReplyDelete